The former president John Mahama has called on the government and the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to fast track investigations into the murder of investigative journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale.

Hussein-Suale was shot dead in his vehicle near his family home in Accra on 16 January 2019 by unidentified men on motorbikes.

However, three years after his murder, Mahama believes the investigation into his murder has not been taken seriously in order to bring the perpetrators to book.

“The killing of ace Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh is a most condemnable act. For a journalist who has for many years covered and brought us reports of events in Israel and the Middle East region, we all mourn her loss. It is our prayer that whoever pulled the trigger and any associates will be brought to justice through an Independent and transparent process,” he posted on Facebook.

Mahama added: “Having said that, we also note that the murderers of Ghanaian journalist, Ahmed Suale, are still walking free. We call on the Akufo-Addo administration and the Police Service to take this investigation seriously and bring the murderers to justice.”


The late Hussein-Suale, was a lead undercover investigative journalist with Tiger Eye PI, an investigative firm in Accra.

The firm investigated the “Number 12 Exposé”, which exposed the illicit conduct of top football administrators in Ghana.

The exposé, conducted between 2016 and 2017 exposed senior officials of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) including Kwesi Nyantakyi, then President of GFA and Abdulai Alhassan, former Chairman of the Northern Regional Football Association and many others.

The “Number 12” documentary was aired at the National Theater, Accra in June 2018.

On January 6, 2019, the deceased paid a visit to his relatives in their family house at Madina New Road, near Queen of Peace Catholic Church. While there, at about 10pm, he received a phone call from his brother Iddrisu Abdul-Rahman who lives in the deceased’s house to the effect that the condition of his son, aged 10, at the time, was deteriorating.

He left the family house to attend to his son in his BMW saloon car and on reaching an intersection, which is about 100 metres away from the family house, two young men on a “boxer” motorbike with the number plate covered with a rag approached Suale and shot him several times through the glass window on the driver’s side.

He was rushed to the Pentecost Alpha Hospital at Madina where he was pronounced dead on arrival by the medical officer they met.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here