Alexander Sarfo-Kantanka, former Juaben MCE-nominee

The Office of the Special Prosecutor has charged the former municipal chief executive-nominee for Juaben, Alexander Sarfo-Kantanka with 26 counts of corruption.

In a statement on Monday 24 May 2022, Kissi Agyebeng, the special prosecutor said Sarfo-Kantanka is due to appear in court in Kumasi on Wednesday 1 June.

Background

Last year November, the Special Prosecutor invited the rejected municipal chief executive-nominee for Juaben to answer questions connected to corruption-related offences.

The rejected nominee was seen in a video clip which went viral, demanding a refund of his money from assembly members.

“The Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) has commenced investigations into allegations of corruption and corruption-related offences (especially corruption and intimidation in respect of a public election) in relation to your nomination and confirmation or otherwise as the MCE of Juaben Municipality in the Ashanti Region,” a statement signed by Agyebeng said.

Office of the Special Prosecutor: Alexander Sarfo Kantanka, the Juaben MCE nominee (left), confronts an assembly member after being rejected
The Juaben MCE nominee (left) confronts an assembly member after being rejected

Police bail

The MCE nominee is on police inquiry bail, having been arrested on Monday (1 November) over the video, which has circulated widely on social media.

In a statement on Tuesday (2 November 2021), the Ghana Police Service said “the arrest was in connection with a viral video of the nominee allegedly demanding a refund of some sums of money he had allegedly paid to assembly members to vote for his confirmation”.

Kantanka’s statement was taken and he was bailed.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here